Our churches

11/ Swindon and its villages

The distinctive sanctus bell-turret at St Mary, Castle Eaton dates from c1250 but was renewed in 1961

The distinctive sanctus bell-turret at St Mary, Castle Eaton dates from c1250 but was renewed in 1961

1/ ST MARY the VIRGIN, BISHOPSTONE1_Bishopstone

The Grade 1 church is mainly Perpendicular but it possesses on the north
side an exquisite late Norman doorway. The church was restored after a fire
in 1891. The interior is bright with just one stained glass window of 1994,
depicting the church and its setting.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN6 8PY

2/ ST SWITHUN, HINTON PARVA2_Hinton Parva

This small Grade 1 church dates mainly from c 1300. The inside has two
Norman arcades, a vigorously carved Norman font with animals, and glass by
Kempe and Laurence Whistler.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN4 0DW

3/ CHRIST CHURCH, SWINDON3_Swindon

This large church with its broach spire was built in 1851 by Sir George Gilbert
Scott in late 13th century style. It has lavish fittings as well as stained glass
by Travers and Hayward.

Opening arrangements: Often open

Postcode: SN1 3HB

4/ ST MARY, LYDIARD TREGOZE4_Lydiard Tregoze

This remarkable Grade 1 church lies behind Lydiard Park. The exterior is
mainly Perpendicular. It has very good woodwork but its national importance
derives from its many monuments to the St Johns, one by Rysbrack.

Opening arrangements: Key available at adjacent house

Postcode: SN5 3PA

5/ ST MARY, PURTON5_Purton

This Grade 1 church is well- grouped with the adjacent Elizabethan mansion.
It has both a western tower and a central tower with a spire, a rare
combination. The church is built in a variety of medieval styles. The niches in
the tower are filled with modern statues by Simon Verity. Inside there is a
good wall painting of the Death of the Virgin, some medieval glass and a remarkable Flemish painting of the Last Supper.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN5 4EB

6/ ST LEONARD, STANTON FITZWARREN6_Stanton Fitzwarren

The Grade 1 church is mainly Victorianised Perpendicular. The north and
south doorways are Norman. It has an important Norman font carved with the
8 Virtues and the 8 Vices. There is Victorian and Edwardian woodwork, and
Kempe glass.

Opening arrangements: Key nearby

Postcode: SN6 7SB

7/ ST MICHAEL, HIGHWORTH7_Highworth

The church is mainly 13th century and Perpendicular although an earlier
tympanum of Samson and the Lion survives. Inside can be found a 15th
century font, an Elizabethan pulpit and modern stained glass which includes a Millennium window.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN6 7AG

8/ ST MARY, CASTLE EATON8_Castle Eaton

This Grade 1 church is situated on the banks of the Thames. It is in the
Diocese of Gloucester. It has two Norman doorways and an Early English
chancel. a bell-turret rebuilt by Butterfield, a wall painting of the Virgin
and Child and good Gibbs glass.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN6 6JZ

9/ ST JOHN the BAPTIST, INGLESHAM9_Inglesham

The Grade 1 church is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust.
It is situated by the wide meadows of the upper Thames. It is small and
unrestored, late Norman and Early English. It has 15th-17th century
woodwork, wall paintings and a Saxon carving of the Virgin and Child
blessed by the Hand of God.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SN6 7RD

BACK TO OUR CHURCHES