Our churches

1/ In and around the City of Salisbury

Detail from the "doom" painting over the chancel arch showing the Last Judgement in St Thomas, Salisbury

Detail from the "doom" painting over the chancel arch showing the Last Judgement in St Thomas, Salisbury

01 Gt Wishford1/ ST GILES, GREAT WISHFORD

Situated in the centre of village. The Norman font indicates a foundation of c1200 although the church was heavily restored by T.H.Wyatt. There is a splendid monument of 1629 to Sir Richard and Lady Grobham.

Opening arrangements: Normally open, key nearby

Postcode: SP2 0PH

02 Wilton2/ ST MARY and ST NICHOLAS, WILTON

Grade 1 Victorian church built by Wyatt and Brandon for the Pembroke family at Wilton House. The style is Italian Romanesque and the church is dominated by its 33 metre high campanile. There are superb monuments of the founding family as well as a Byzantine-style apse with richly coloured mosaics and imported medieval stained glass.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP2 0DL

03 Bemerton3/ ST ANDREW, BEMERTON

A small 13th century church, its chief claim to fame is that it is the resting place of the 17th century Anglican poet George Herbert, a cousin of the Earl of Pembroke. He was rector here and died in 1634.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP2 9NR

04 Stratford4/ ST LAWRENCE, STRATFORD sub CASTLE

The church is situated at the foot of Old Sarum. It is 14th century built in flint and stone. The interior is white with plastered wagon ceilings. It has a fine Jacobean
pulpit. Thomas (”Diamond “) Pitt rebuilt the tower and refurbished the interior in the early 18th century.

 

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP1 3YP

05 Sals St Thom5/ ST THOMAS à BECKET, SALISBURY

15th century Grade 1 town church set back from the City streets. It has a lovely timber roof with demi-figures of angels. The most notable feature is the “doom” painting over the chancel arch showing the Last Judgement.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP1 1BA

6/ ST OSMUND, SALISBURY06 Sals St Osmund

This Roman Catholic church was built in 1847-8 by Augustus Welby Pugin in
14th century Gothic style. It has some Hardman glass designed by Pugin.

 

Opening arrangements: Normally open
Postcode: SP1 2SF

7/ ST PETER, BRITFORD07 Britford

In meadow lands close to the River Avon. The Grade 1 church is mainly
Decorated but with some Saxon work. The tower was rebuilt in 1764. The
church was restored by Street. John Wordsworth, Bishop of Salisbury is
buried in the churchyard as are various Earls of Radnor from Longford Castle
nearby.

Opening arrangements: Open daily
Postcode: SP5 4DX

8/ ALL SAINTS, FARLEY08 Farley

This is the only 17th century church in Wiltshire. It is Grade 1. It was built for
Sir Stephen Fox by Alexander Fort in red brick classical style. There are
contemporary furnishings and a number of Fox monuments including one to
Charles James Fox ” the best of husbands and the most excellent of men”.

 

Opening arrangements: Open daily
Postcode: SP5 1AH

9/ ST MARY the VIRGIN, ALDERBURY09 alderbury

The church stands high on the hillside above the Avon meadows. It was designed
by Samuel Teulon in 1857-8 in 14th century style. It has good Victorian glass and two
modern memorials to recent Earls of Radnor.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SP5 3AL

10/ ST LAURENCE, DOWNTON10 downton

A large Grade 1 cruciform church on a hillside above the village. It is built in a
mixture of styles-Norman, Decorated, Perpendicular, Victorian. Inside are good
18th century monuments to the Duncombes, Earls of Feversham and a
powerful west window with intricate tracery and glass of the four archangels
of 1898.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SP5 3PU

BACK TO OUR CHURCHES