Our churches

7/ From Pewsey Vale to Chute Forest

St Nicholas, East Grafton, built in neo-Romanesque style, by Ferrey in 1844.

St Nicholas, East Grafton, built in neo-Romanesque style, by Ferrey in 1844.

1/ ALL SAINTS, MARDEN01_Marden

The church is placed on a small rise. The tall west tower is Perpendicular.
The south doorway and the chancel arch are lavish Norman work. The church
was otherwise rebuilt by Ponting in 1885. There is a Jacobean pulpit.

Opening times: Normally open

Postcode: SN10 3RH

2/ ST MARY the VIRGIN, ALTON BARNES02_Alton Barnes

This Grade 1 church is to be found in a farmyard setting. The nave walls
contain Saxon stonework. The chancel was built in brick in 1748. It has a
three decker pulpit and modern glass by Laurence and Simon Whistler.
Augustus Hare was rector here.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SN8 4LE

3/ ALL SAINTS, ALTON PRIORS03_Alton Priors

The church is in the ownership of the Churches Conservation Trust. It is set in
a hedged churchyard surrounded by meadows. The church has a Norman
chancel arch and 18th century woodwork.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SN8 4LB

4/ HOLY TRINITY, OARE04_Oare

The church is set back from the road amongst trees. It is a red brick neo-
Romanesque building by Teulon of 1857-8. There is a compact apse and
much polychromy.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN8 4JQ

5/ ST PETER, MANNINGFORD BRUCE05_Manningford Bruce

The Grade 1 church is situated off the main road away from the village. It is a
completely preserved Norman and earlier building with an apse, but with later
medieval windows. It was carefully restored by Pearson in 1882 who added
the bell turret, the good decoration, the reredos and the Clayton & Bell
stained glass.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN9 6JW

6/ ST MARY the VIRGIN, UPAVON06_Upavon

This Grade 1 church has a Norman chancel arch and Norman font. The rest
is 19th century. The church was restored by the Victorians. The east window
of the Nativity is by Henry Holiday.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN9 6AA

7/ ST MARY, COLLINGBOURNE KINGSTON07_Collingbourne Kingston

The church has a nave and north aisle of the 12th century and a chancel and
south aisle of the 15th. There are 16th and 17th century effigies of the Pile
family, and 1985 glass by John Hayward.

Opening times: Normally open

Postcode: SN8 3SD

8/ ST NICHOLAS, EAST GRAFTON08_East Grafton

Like Oare, the church is built in neo-Romanesque style, this time by Ferrey in
1844. It has a richly decorated apse by Thomas Willement. The campanile
has symbols of the four evangelists on it, and four dogs’ heads above them.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN8 3DB

BACK TO OUR CHURCHES