Our churches

5/ Churches of the Bradford Deanery

St James, Trowbridge. This large Grade 1 church was heavily restored in 1847-8.

St James, Trowbridge. This large Grade 1 church was heavily restored in 1847-8.

1/ ST LEONARD, KEEVIL01_Keevil

The church is mainly 14th century with Perpendicular tower and south aisle. It
has a painted medieval roof, 17th and 18th century monuments to the Beach
family and a mosaic reredos of 1842 by Powell and Sons.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA13 4QJ

2/ ST MARY the VIRGIN, STEEPLE ASHTON02a_Steeple Ashton

This Grade 1 church is one of the finest in Wiltshire. It is a glorious
Perpendicular wool church, the exterior of which bristles with pinnacles.
There is a lavish south porch with a boss of the Assumption of the Virgin.
Inside notice the stone lierne-vaults at the east end, the fragments of
medieval glass and the marble memorial tablets. The spire in fact
collapsed in 1670.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA14 6EW

3/ ST JAMES, TROWBRIDGE03a_Trowbridge St James

This large Grade 1 church with a spire is Perpendicular. It was heavily
restored in 1847-8. The nave roof with its angels is prettily painted blue.
There is good Victorian glass. George Crabbe was rector here.

Opening arrangements: Open mornings

Postcode: BA14 8DX

4/ ST MARY the VIRGIN, WESTWOOD04_Westwood

The Grade 1 church is well grouped with the manor house. The church is
mainly 13th century although the tall elaborate tower is Perpendicular. There
is good woodwork and medieval stained glass in the east window
which shows Christ crucified on a lily.

Opening arrangements: Normally open in conjunction with National Trust manor

Postcode: BA15 2AF

5/ HOLY TRINITY, BRADFORD on AVON05_Bradford

The church is Norman with Perpendicular additions. It has a medieval wall
painting, roundels of 17th century glass from the Netherlands and
monuments both medieval and 18th century, including one by Rysbrack.

Opening arrangements: Open afternoons April to October

Postcode: BA15 1LW

6/ ST LAURENCE, BRADFORD on AVON06_Bradford St Lawrence

This Grade 1 Saxon church was rediscovered in 1856. It has impressive steep
narrow proportions and Saxon sculptures of two floating angels.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA15 1LW

7/ CHRIST CHURCH, BRADFORD on AVON07_Bradford Christ Ch

The church was built in 1841 by George Manners of Bath. Sir George Gilbert
Scott and his son John Oldrid Scott both worked on it subsequently. It has
very good wall decoration by Burlisson and Grylls and stained glass by
Powell.

Opening arrangements: Open Saturday am and Tuesday pm

Postcode: BA15 1SJ

8/ ALL SAINTS, GREAT CHALFIELD08a_Gr Chalfield

This Grade 1 church is beautifully situated next to the manor house. It is small
and medieval with a spired bellcote. The Tropenell Chapel of 1480 has a
stone screen and six panels of the life of St Katharine. The organ case was
painted well in a medieval style in 1914.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SN12 8NJ

9/ CHRIST CHURCH, SHAW09_Shaw

This remarkable church was built by Ponting in 1905 as a remodelling of an
earlier T.H.Wyatt church of 1837. It has a wonderful timber roof and beautiful
wooden choir stalls.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: SN12 8EQ

BACK TO OUR CHURCHES