Our churches

4/ Along the Wylye to the West Wiltshire Hills

One of various Thynne monuments in St Peter and St Paul, Longbridge Deverill

One of various Thynne monuments in St Peter and St Paul, Longbridge Deverill

01_Stockton1/ ST JOHN BAPTIST, STOCKTON

The Grade 1 church is set back behind cottages in a little close of its own. It is
predominantly Norman and Early English. There is a solid wall between nave
and chancel topped by a good rood screen of 1910 designed by Cecil Hare.
There are a number of interesting monuments in the church.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA12 0SE

2/ ST COSMAS and ST DAMIEN, SHERRINGTON02_Sherrington

Another Grade 1 church situated in a secluded village above the Wylye. The
church consisting of simple nave and chancel was built c1300. Its interest lies
in the complete internal renewal of 1624 with plastered wagon ceiling,
furnishings and series of wall texts and scrolled decorations.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA12 0SN

3/ ST MARY, BOYTON03_Boynton

The Grade 1 church is Early English and Decorated. The Giffard Chapel
of 1270 with its unique wheel window and monuments is of great architectural
distinction. There is much reassembled medieval glass, some from
Salisbury Cathedral.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: BA12 0SS

4/ ST PETER and ST PAUL, HEYTESBURY04_Heytesbury

This large cruciform Grade 1 church was collegiate until 1840. It is mainly
13th century but was heavily restored by Butterfield in 1865-7. He was
responsible for the patterned wall decoration of the chancel and the excellent
glass by Alexander Gibbs.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA12 0EF

5/ ST JOHN the EVANGELIST, SUTTON VENY05_Sutton Veney

This is one of the best Victorian churches in Wiltshire built by Pearson in 1866-8.
It is dominated by its impressive spire. The “Decorated” church with its
characteristic rib vaulting is Grade 1. There is good stained glass and wall
decoration by Clayton & Bell.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA12 7AP

6/ ST DENYS, WARMINSTER06_Warminster

This Grade 1 church is now somewhat detached from the centre of the town. It
is a large Perpendicular cruciform church very thoroughly renewed by Sir
Arthur Blomfield in 1887-9. It has good Victorian glass. The organ case of
1792 comes from Salisbury Cathedral.

Opening arrangements: Key from Parish Office

Postcode: BA12 8PQ

7/ THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, OLD DILTON07_Old Dilton

This Grade 1 church is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It is a
small church of the 14th century with a small spirelet. Its glory is its almost
unaltered 18th century interior with plain bleached box pews, a three decker
pulpit and two small galleries.

Opening arrangements: Key nearby

Postcode: BA12 4DB

8/ ST PETER and ST PAUL, LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL08_Long Deverill

The exterior is mainly Victorianised Perpendicular but there are Norman and
14th century arcades. The Bath chapel is at the north east end with various
Thynne monuments including one by Francis Chantry. The war memorial and
the chapel screens are by F.C.Eden and there is glass by Kempe.

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: BA12 7DL

9/ ALL SAINTS, MAIDEN BRADLEY09_Maiden Bradley

This Grade 1 medieval church has Jacobean box pews. Its chief interest lies
in the various memorials to the Dukes of Somerset and their predecessors
including one of 1728 by Rysbrack to the Speaker Sir Edward Seymour
( described by Pepys as “very high, proud and saucy”.)

Opening arrangements: Normally open

Postcode: BA12 7HA

10/ ST PETER, STOURTON10_Stourton

This Grade 1 church has a splendid setting at the entrance to Stourhead. It is
mainly Perpendicular. There are monuments to Stourtons and Hoares.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA12 6QE

11/ ST MICHAEL the ARCHANGEL, MERE11_Mere

This Grade 1 church is set in a close of cottages. It has a pinnacled 124 foot
high tower. The church is in the main Perpendicular. There is a spectacular
rood screen of 1470 and 1899. There is good woodwork and good early
medieval stained glass. The south chapel of 1325 has a fine brass of 1398 to
Sir John Bettesthorne, ” fundator istius cantarie “.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: BA12 6DS

BACK TO OUR CHURCHES