Our churches

2/ Across Salisbury Plain

trail 2 large

 

01_Stapleford1/ ST MARY, STAPLEFORD

Situated above the River Till on the southern edge of Salisbury plain. Grade
1. Attractive setting. It has memorable Norman work in the south arcade of
the nave with scalloped capitals, carved heads, and zigzag and ball-flower
decoration on the four arches.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP3 4LN

02_Gt Durnford2/ ST ANDREW, GREAT DURNFORD

Evelyn described the village “as most sweetly watered, abounding in troutes”.
The Grade 1 church is situated on a flood plain near the River Avon. It is
basically Norman with carved doorways, chancel arch and font. The
furnishings are mainly 17th century. Betjeman described it as one of
Wiltshire’s most delightful churches.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP4 6BA

3/ ST MICHAEL, WILSFORD03_Wilsford

Situated by the Avon, the church has a Norman tower but the rest is by
T.H.Wyatt in 1851. The chief interest are various memorials both in the
church and in the graveyard to the owners of Wilsford House, mainly
Tennants, and to the family of Sir Oliver Foster Lodge, pioneer physicist.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP4 7BL

4/ ST MARY and ST MELOR, AMESBURY04_Amesbury

This large flint cruciform Grade1 church was built for the Benedictine nuns of
Amesbury. It is mainly Norman and Early English although heavily restored by
Butterfield. The south aisle has a painted medieval ceiling. Some medieval
glass survives.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP4 7EU

5/ ALL SAINTS, IDMISTON05_Idmiston

This redundant Grade 1 church is in the care of the Churches Conservation
Trust. The naves and arcades are in graceful Decorated style with the arches
built with alternating of greensand and limestone. There is a memorable
assortment of carved heads on the roof corbels. The church was restored by
Pearson in 1865-7 who built the shingled pyramidical spire.

Opening arrangements: Key nearby

Postcode: SP4 0AU

6/ ST ANDREW, BOSCOMBE06_Boscombe

The Grade 1 church is built in flint and rubble with 14th century nave and
chancel. There is a shingled bell turret. The interior has white plastered walls
and good 17th century furnishings including a three decker pulpit. Richard
Hooker, the author of  The Laws of Ecclesiastical Polity was rector here in
the late 17th century.

Opening arrangements: Key nearby

Postcode: SP4 0AB

7/ ST JOHN BAPTIST, ALLINGTON07_Allington

This redundant church now belongs to the Friends of Friendless Churches. It
was rebuilt in 1851 by the Reverend William Grey. There are Norman
fragments. There is good decoration by William Morris in the chancel.

Opening arrangements: Key nearby

Postcode: SP4 0DB

8/ ST NICHOLAS, CHOLDERTON08_Cholderton

This remarkable church was built in 1840-50 by Wyatt & Brandon for the
Reverend Thomas Mozley, Cardinal Newman’s brother-in-law. It is based on
a college chapel, with a fine medieval hammerbeam roof. Good Victorian
furnishings include woodwork, Minton tiles and glass.

Opening arrangements: Open daily

Postcode: SP4 0DW

9/ ST MARY, SOUTH TIDWORTH9_Sth Tidworth

This redundant church is in the care of the Churches Conservation Trust. It is
a mid-Victorian gem built by John Johnson in 1878-80. It has a stately interior
with rich carving and elegant arcades together with an unusual thin spire.

Opening arrangements: Key nearby

Postcode: SP9 7ST

10/ ST JAMES, LUDGERSHALL10_Ludgershall

The Grade 1 church is built in a mixture of styles from Norman to the 17th
century. It has an important monument of 1558 to Sir Richard and Lady
Brydges in Renaissance style with two effigies, kneeling children, columns,
strapwork, cartouches.

Opening arrangements: Key at adjacent bungalow

Postcode: SP11 9QF

BACK TO OUR CHURCHES