The present church was built in 1857-58, and only a single buttress, and short stretch of wall, are left from its medieval predecessor (some fifty or so yards to the south-west). The archway over the entrance to the porch came from the old church. It is decorated in the style known as ‘saw-tooth chevron’, a feature of the ‘Romanesque’ architecture of the period 1000-1200. The late medieval octagonal font. and a number of memorials were also moved from the old church, the oldest of these being a brass of 1530. There are twenty panels of medieval stained glass incorporated into the west window of St Andrew’s. These were removed from Salisbury Cathedral about 1790 as part of a programme to make the cathedral lighter, and thrown away. They were recovered by Canon Stanley Baker after a dogged search spread over several years. He gave the glass to Laverstock in 1939 after the Cathedral declined to take it back. Canon Baker also gave the church some carved oak, perhaps of late medieval Welsh craftsmanship, to form part of the chancel screen. Additionally, he was probably the source of the gold and white glass, perhaps 16th-century Flemish work, in the south chapel.
Church Road, Laverstock, Salisbury SP1 1QR